Clergy and Laity United for Economic Justice
Seeks a Part-Time, 20 hr/wk, ORANGE COUNTY-BASED FAITH-ROOTED ORGANIZER to a fill a short-term position, beginning mid-September, through August 31, 2020, with the possibility of annual renewal.
Applications Accepted Position is Filled
About Clergy & Laity United for Economic Justice (CLUE): CLUE, a nonprofit economic justice advocacy organization, educates, organizes, and mobilizes clergy and other faith leaders to accompany the workers poor of Los Angeles and Orange County in our collective struggle for good jobs, dignity, and justice. Working closely with other advocacy groups, labor unions, religious denominations, and educators, CLUE plays a unique role in the fight for Economic Justice by bringing a creative spiritual voice and moral authority to economic justice campaigns. Within our collaborative efforts, we hearken back to ancient traditions and to the moral commitments of the faith community to shape conversation and strategy for critical local, state, and federal legislative efforts that seek to transform and improve the lives of working people. Our work includes advocacy surrounding workplace conditions, immigrant rights, restorative justice, affordable housing, racial justice, and any quality of life matters that undermine the economic outcomes of those in the margins. For more information about the breadth of our work, please consult our website: www.cluejustice.org.
Position Summary: Clergy & Laity United for Economic Justice is seeking a talented and dedicated Faith-Rooted Immigration Organizer to build our organization through helping drive a campaign for immigrant rights in Orange County (OC). The ideal candidate is an experienced community organizer who is also a coalition-builder and strategist and believes deeply in the importance of building community leadership, capacity and power. The Faith Rooted Organizer will work in partnership with other staff and leaders to together drive campaign strategy and execution. S/he will be responsible for working with community faith leaders to execute a sophisticated campaign plan, coordinate related activities and efforts of allies to advance our campaign priorities and establish the basis for longer-term, ongoing work in Orange County. S/he must be able to organize and effectively communicate at all levels – with grassroots community people as well as established community leaders and policy experts. The Faith-Rooted Organizer will be based in Orange County and will report directly to the Director of Program. S/he and will also work closely with CLUE’s Orange County staff, existing community leaders, community organizers and core partners in building CLUE’s OC presence and internal capacity.
Position: Faith-Rooted Community Organizer
Job Qualifications: A successful candidate will have experience working with the community; take initiative independently and able to work in a collaborative, fluid team environment; commitment to social justice and immigrant rights from the grassroots up, and building the leadership of directly affected individuals as vital messengers and leaders in their communities.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
– Build a base of CLUE members, the majority of whom are directly impacted by immigration issues, who will participate in demanding changes from decision makers and creating the political climate that allows for those changes to be adopted
– Collaborating with staff on the Building Healthy Families initiative
– Using a campaign committee structure, recruit, turn out, and develop interfaith community leaders across a variety of low and moderate income neighborhoods of color.
– Execute a sophisticated and winning campaign strategy by working with community leaders, staff, and allies.
– Identify hot organizing issues that members want to organize around.
– Organize direct actions, events, meetings, and other tactics to move the campaign forward on a regular basis.– Regularly communicate the campaign’s progress to our members, staff, and partners.
– Work with the existing database (NationBuilder) to track clergy members /congregations, participation and progress towards achieving success.
– Develop and manage relationships with partner organizations to move the campaign forward. This may include joint strategy meetings, joint actions or other events, etc.
– Manage and develop relationships with key stakeholders and decision makers.
– Enhance our reputation and brand, and promote our values.
– Collaborate, support and work on other campaigns as necessary.
– Other duties, as required.
– Excellent community organizing skills, strategizing, and execution of organizing campaigns
– Passion and commitment to social, economic, and racial justice
– Ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines, and working in a fluid and fast-paced environment
– Collaborative and team-oriented work style
– Personal interest and passion for leadership development of grassroots immigrant leaders and engaging new communities in social justice and immigrant rights work
– Critical thinking and problem solving skills
– Excellent written and verbal communications skills
– Self-discipline and rigorous work ethic– Full-time access to a car
– Fluency in English and Spanish (strong written and verbal communication skills in both languages)
– Computer competency – Word, ability to design outreach materials; internet required; experience in working with database systems a plus
– Ability to work irregular hours including nights and occasional weekends
Application Instructions and Timeline: Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
E-mail cover letter, résumé, and references to Guillermo Torres, firstname.lastname@example.org subject line: “Part-time Faith-Rooted Immigration Organizer Applicant.”
CLUE is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All people, regardless of gender, race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, age, class, religious observance level, or other categories, are encouraged to apply.