Once we start to act, hope is everywhere. So instead of looking for hope, look for action. Then, and only then, hope will come. – Greta Thunburg
Welcome to a new year of envisioning, planning, and working for justice! I hope you are excited about acting to build a more sacred and just society in 2024.
As Greta Thunburg (one of the wiser 21-year-olds we know) says, “Once we start to act, hope is everywhere.”
There’s so much happening in the organized, connected, interfaith movement for justice in Southern California, let’s dive right in.
If you read nothing else, read this:
- Friday, January 19 at 11:30 AM – King Chavez Celebration and Latino Soul Food Brunch – Black and Brown clergy and community members will renew a collective vision for a Los Angeles where everyone is cared for, absent of poverty, hunger, and hate. [Read More]
- Monday, January 29 at 7 PM – Envisioning Justice – Join us for a virtual fireside chat to explore the coming year in the organized, connected, interfaith movement for justice. [Read More]
- Thursday, March 14, 2024 at 4:30 PM – Architects of Justice 2024 – Join us for the annual dinner that gathers OC changemakers and celebrates leadership in the movement for justice in OC! This year, we’re excited to honor the hospitality workers of Unite Here Local 11 and CA Reparations Task Force Chair Kamilah V. Moore [Read More]
HOSPITALITY WORKERS CAMPAIGN UPDATE
- The Fairmont Miramar and Bungalows became the 25th hotel to sign a tentative agreement with workers this past Monday! The Sacred Solidarity Scoreboard captures what you might have missed over the last few weeks [Read More]
- [ACTION ALERT] We need your help putting public pressure on the City of Santa Monica to investigate the exploitation of unhoused workers brought in to replace striking workers at Le Meridien Delfina; and company retaliation against striking workers at the Viceroy and Le Meridien Delfina. [Act Now] [Read More]
- Thanks to the wonderful generosity of congregations across Southern California the LA Welcomes Collective is stocked with toys!! You are needed in a new challenge to collect gently used car seats, boosters, and strollers. Or give new, unopened bottles and baby formula for immigrant families bused from Texas. [Read More]
CLUE IN THE NEWS
- Marketplace radio is airing a series on reparations in California called Golden Promises. While CLUE isn’t mentioned specifically, we are thrilled they are devoting airtime to this important issue.
As it happens, two of the featured sources in their series were connected to last summer’s “CLUE in Conversation” events, exploring housing justice and reparations. The book“Just Action” was the centerpiece of our housing justice discussion, and the CA Reparations Task Force was the centerpiece of our reparations discussion!
You play a vital role in the cause of building a more sacred and just Southern California where every person is valued and every job has dignity. THANK YOU FOR MAKING A REAL DIFFERENCE IN YOUR BACKYARD.
In faith and solidarity,
Your Friends at CLUE
Solidarity is Sacred
Clergy and Laity United for Economic Justice educates, organizes, and mobilizes faith leaders and community members to walk with workers and immigrants in their struggles for good jobs, safe workplaces, and healthy communities.
We can accompany low-wage workers—mostly immigrants and communities of color—because people like you support an organized, connected interfaith movement for economic justice.
Please join the movement to build an economy that works for everyone, not just those at the top.