LONG BEACH AND LOS ANGELES, CA
The working conditions of Long Beach and Los Angeles port truck drivers and warehouse workers present a huge justice issue. Unconscionably, most ports truck drivers are misclassified as “independent contractors," which excludes them basic legal protections, imposes serious financial constraints, and cheats the government out of payroll taxes. Trucking companies commit wage theft by unfairly deducting job expenses from drivers' paychecks and denying thousands of misclassified drivers from workers' compensation, unemployment insurance, health insurance, disability insurance, minimum wage protections, and lunch and rest breaks. CLUE leaders have joined drivers in a number of large-scale, port-wide strikes that includes picket lines at company truck yards, consumer warehouses and distribution centers, and marine terminals.
- Being With My Family Should Not Be A Luxury - Amador Rojas, Port Truck Driver
- Don't Stop Until the Wage Theft Stops - John Pulvino, Member of St. Cyprian Catholic Church and CLUE's LB Committee
- Sacred Right to Rest: An Open Letter to Port Truck Drivers - Grecia Reyes, CLUE Faith-Rooted Organizer
- RIGGED: Forced Into Debt, Worked Past Exhaustion, Left With Nothing - USA Today Cover Story
- Contact Grecia Lopez-Reyes at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out how you can contribute your time and energy to support Long Beach Ports workers.
- Join our Campaign Committee — If you're a clergy member or lay leader in the Long Beach area, help create sustainable change by joining our regional committee! (Contact Grecia)
- DONATE to empower us to continue supporting Long Beach ports workers.